Military and Veteran Student Services

Mission: Our role is to support military members, veterans, and their families at UNI as they transition between military duty, college, and new careers. We are committed to faculty and staff education, on and off campus resource networking, advocacy, and listening to each student to ensure that each military affiliated students' voice is heard and they are empowered to achieve success in class and beyond.

Welcome Military and Veterans

Welcome to the UNI Military and Veteran’s page. We pride ourselves on being a Military Friendly Campus where we serve to educate our Nation’s finest.  UNI provides support not only to military and veteran students, but also to military spouses and dependents who are using their spouse or parent(s) education benefits.   The campus has a Military and Veteran Student Services Director, who is in place to assist you with your military transition.  There is a Veteran center on campus for those who may at times need a quiet space, or to just speak with a fellow veteran.  There is also a UNI Veterans Association (UNIVA) student organization, who support events on campus and collaborates with the various external military and veteran organizations for events.  Please feel free to contact Chiquita Loveless if you are interested in attending UNI, or have additional questions at (319) 273-3040.   No Solicitation Please!

Policy for Academic Advising regarding Military and Veteran Students attending the University of Northern Iowa.  The Office of Academic Advising engages military and veteran students with potential majors and careers, while facilitating student success through exploration, transitions, connections and resources.  Advising is a personalized educational experience, empowering students to explore, articulate and achieve their academic, career and life goals.  It is the responsibility and recommendation that military students obtain the support and resources provided by their Command's Educational Support Officer (ESO), or receive approval from the installation commander prior to attending coursed at UNI.  This will ensure that the required documentation and materials are completed prior to start of classes. The Office of Academic Advising serves as the academic center for first year military and veteran students in select majors, deciding students who are exploring majors, students changing majors, and students reassessing their current academic situation.  With a supportive community and network, the Office of Academic Advising guides military and veteran students through a structured program, which includes individual attention, meaningful engagement, and a personalized experience to develop goals and expectations based on their interests, strengths, and skills. UNI’s undergraduate academic advising is structured for students to receive guidance from a designated representative in their academic department. It is the responsibility of the student to track their progress toward degrees and meet requirements for graduation. All students are encouraged to meet each semester with their assigned academic advisor for guidance and their record analyst in the Office of the Registrar at least two semesters prior to expected graduation date The Office of Academic Advising can help students:

Explore majors and link to careers/relate career goals to majors/select appropriate coursework and engagement experiences/tailor academic programs to fit interests/enroll in the credit bearing course POSTSEC 1050 (170:050) Career Decision Making
interpret institutional requirements and processes/develop critical thinking and decision-making skills

Return of unearned Department of Defense Tuition Assistance Funds

Tuition Assistance (TA) is awarded to a student under the assumption that the student will attend school for the entire period for which the assistance is awarded. When a student withdraws, the student may no longer be eligible for the full amount of TA funds originally awarded. To comply with the new Department of Defense policy, UNI will return any unearned TA funds on a prorated basis through at least the 60% portion (calendar) of the period for which the funds were provided. TA funds are earned proportionally during an enrollment period, with unearned funds returned based upon when a student stops attending.


Policy for Military Personnel Called to Active Duty

If a student (or their spouse if the student has a dependent child) is called to active duty by the National Guard or the reserve forces of the United States during an academic term, the student will be given an option to have courses dropped or an "I" (Incomplete) grade assigned to each of their courses. This option is available on a course-by-course basis as well as to their entire registration. The assigning of an "Incomplete" is by mutual consent of the faculty member and the student. If the call up occurs late in the term, the faculty member also has the option of assigning a final grade rather than the "I" grade.

Tuition, mandatory fees, and related course fees will be canceled or refunded-in full- for all courses dropped.  Courses in which the grade of "I" or a final grade is assigned will have applicable tuition and course fees assessed.


1. Grades

A. Regardless of the date of withdrawal, the student will be given the choice of dropping the course (s) or  having and "I (incomplete) grades assigned to the course(s).

B. This may be done on an individual course-by-course basis, or for the entire registration.

C. If the student requests an Incomplete (I), the student should be reminded of completion dates and the possibility of an extension in the assignment of the Incomplete grades.

D. If the call up occurs late in the term, faculty members, if they so choose, may assign a final grade for the course.

2. Tuition

A. Regardless of when the student withdraws, the student will receive 100% refund of tuition for all dropped courses. Tuition will be charged for courses kept with assigned incomplete or final grades.

B. All individual cases must be coordinated with the Office of Student Financial Aid, the Controller's Office, and the Veterans Certification official in the Office of the Registrar to address any overpayment and other financial considerations with Federal or Veterans Administration funding.

3. Housing

A. Spouses and/or children of affected military personnel may continue to reside in family housing.

If you live on campus, we strongly encourage you to initiate a discussion with the Department of Residence, in particular, we encourage you to speak with your Residence Life Coordinator (RLC) and/or Resident Assistant (RA).