Military and Veteran Student Services

Mission: Our role is to support military members, veterans, and their families at UNI as they transition between military duty, college, and new careers. We are committed to faculty and staff education, on and off campus resource networking, advocacy, and listening to each student to ensure that each military affiliated students' voice is heard and they are empowered to achieve success in class and beyond.

Getting Started at UNI


You can find information on admissions to the University of Northern Iowa and an online application at:

Submit your Military Transcripts

Your military experience may be worth college credit. You can find links to official military transcripts for all services at: Have them mailed by your military service directly to the Office of Admissions

Office of Admissions

002 Gilchrist Hall

University of Northern Iowa

Cedar Falls, IA 50614-00183

Complete the FAFSA

Free Application for Federal Student Aid at: For more information on financial aid, go to:

Apply for Education Benefits

Please come to the Registrar's Office in Gilchrist Hall 115 and ask for Carol Squires (Students with last name A-H),, 319-273-2242/April Schmiesing (Students with last name I-R), 319-273-6801/Michelle Kline (Students with last name S-Z),, 319-273-2273, and for Financial Aid Kaili Benham, 319-273-2354 Office of Financial Aid & Scholarships Gilchrist 105.  They will be more than happy to help you determine which type of education benefits are right for you.  You may also apply for your federal GI Bill education benefits online at http:\\ Once you complete your application, the VA will issue you a certificate of Eligibility (COE) that shows the educational benefits you are entitled to. You will need to bring this to the Registrar's Office in Gilchrist Hall. 

Submit Information 

To complete the application process submit a certified copy of your form DD-214 and COE to the Registrar's Office in Gilchrist Hall, Patricia Welter, (319)-273-6801. The process can be started without the COE but we will eventually need a copy of it. 

Apply for Disability Compensation & Benefits

Apply to get Disability Compensation and Benefits, if applicable. Apply online at: It is recommended that Veterans obtain assistance with their application from a Veterans Service Organization (VSO)

Student Disability Services

Record your disability with the University of Northern Iowa for accommodations and support. 319-335-1462,

Apply for other Scholarship/Grant Opportunities

Information can be found at

Find Housing

Information on finding housing on both on and off-campus in Cedar Falls, Waterloo area is available at and

Get a Job

Find information on employment opportunities at

Unemployment Benefits 

Recently discharged Veterans may need to apply for possible unemployment benefits

Questions for the VA

If you have questions for the VA regarding GI Bill Education Benefits, go to and click on the "Submit a Question" button. 


Links to many veteran services toy will need can be found here


Your Gateway to Benefit Information this is the only way to view your GI Bill Benefits and health care. All things VA.

All GI Bill processing for Iowa Colleges and Universities is done by: 

VA Regional Office

PO Box 66830

St. Louis, MO 63166-6830

Montgomery GI Bill Mandatory Verification

All students who are receiving either the Montgomery GI Bill Active Duty or Selected Reserve must now verify their enrollments monthly to receive payments. This verification can be done either by using the Web Automated Verification of Enrollment (WAVE) which can be found at or by using the automated telephone system (IVR) at 1-877-823-2378 (follow the prompts)